Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Catching up on #9.

In trying to find some library related blogs I came across http://blogs.britannica.com/blog/main/category/books/
I was impressed as there are no blogs about My Chemical Romance, kittens or Britney Spears. Oh it's so organised and actually useful. I do in fact need to know which libraries in the world are haunted (can't get more library related than that) then I know which ones to skip on my "libraries of the world" tour. (Places are limited, book early.)

This brilliant site then led me on to learning about sustainability in the book printing industry.
http://www.greenpressinitiative.org/index.htm
I feel twice as good now, having not purchased the unsustainable "Harry Potter and-the-whatsit-something". I guess I assumed that books would naturally be printed on recycled paper.
But then some people need brand new paper pulp, bleached with toxins and embossed with flowers, toilet paper to wipe their precious butts with.

And... back to task. There's a new policy for ACL, purchasing sustainable books over the unsustainable. It only remains to see if there is New Zealand based information on the subject.
Oh, but I feel so good having found useful information in a blog format! That's put a spring in my step.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you get to use some RSS search tools to look up these blogs? That was the discovery exercise for number 9, Topix.net and Feedster etc.

Have you had a chance to explore technorati for thing 14? :)

Satan's Little Helper: said...

I'm afraid I was operating in a 1.0 fashion.
I found the results that the RSS search tools came up with where pretty mundane. So I resorted to searching google for "libraries + blogs". More for a comparisons sake than anything else.
Will now revert back to 2.0 :)